Tuesday, April 17, 2007

"To Close Gaps, Schools Focus on Black Boys" (4/9/07 p. A1)

The title alone depicts some possible ethical issues, which is exactly what this article did. However, I'm not sure where I stand personally on this issue. I don't really like the feeling of not having an opinion about an issue where I don't lean at least a little one way or another.

The article discussed how a school in Ossining, New York is separating black male students apart from other students because their academic performance is lower and fewer and fewer are going to college.

The black boys are sent to what are referred to as special mentoring programs that pair these boys up with black teacher for extra guidance outside the classroom, extra homework help and cultural activities during the school day. One mentor states that all the black boys used to end up in the principals office prior to this program, therefore, action needed to be taken. Is that really an accurate assumption? Key word in that statement was "all."

After beginning the article, I was outraged that this was happening. I believe that it is incredibly unfair to separate black males from everyone else. What must these poor boys really think? We are stepping backward into the past when black and white children were required to attend different schools. I cringe at the thought of that happening again in this day and age.

The article went on to say that Ossining school officials claimed they were not singling out black boys, but after a district analysis of high school students' grade-point average revealed that black boys were performing far worse than any other group, they decided to act. In contrast, these officials said, the performance of black girls compared favorable with other students and did not warrant the same concern. To me, this is still racist. They are of course singling out black boys by sticking them in a separate part of the schools. They may be doing it to help these students, however, it is still a form of racism that these school officials need to take into higher account.

The ethics here dealing racism and whether some people may see this issue the way I do. For this reason, I don't know which way I totally lean on the ethical scale. Of course, I hate the thought of singling out these students, but at the same time, if this school district believes this kind of program will honestly help academic wise, while they still promote the idea that they are aware some people, like myself, may see it one way, they look at it a different way. The program is actually even praised by some of the nation's leading minority scholars. Yet, there are those that still claim it is a form of racial profiling in the school system. Which, I agree, it is.

Ossining isn't the only school system taking this kind of a approach. Schools in New Jersey, Ohio, etc. have similar programs. The article also stated a reminder that more black men were behind bars than in college. Still, it is an unfair stereotype and I know several successful black men that most likely didn't need the help of special programs in school.

A mother of a black boy stated that she believed the extra support was needed because the numbers are stacked against them. She was quoted saying, "I don't want my sone to be in jail when he becomes a teenager, I want thim to have the same chances as a white child." Um, hello, if you're a good mother your son shouldn't end up in jail.

The article portrayed numbers showing these programs are working, which maybe they are and maybe I need to look at that. However, one still must worry that a stereotype is as damaging as the one you're trying to prevent. I'm happy that these programs are helping, however, I still see it as unethical to separate these boys completely.

Article by: By WINNIE HU; GRIFF PALMER

No comments: